Are you looking for a way to get more involved in your child’s education? To help with activities and events that are crucial to giving each child a well-rounded school experience? Do you see something you’d like to change or add, but don’t know how?
Consider running for the HES PTA Board! We’re looking for parents with kids across all grades, of all languages and skills. All HES PTA Board Members are elected at the final General PTA Meeting of the year. It is only a few months until our election on Tuesday, May 27, so start thinking now about where you’d like to serve. Please contact our President Sara Murphy with any questions or to express your interest at [email protected]
The description of each officer’s role is below. In addition to those specific responsibilities, each member of the HES PTA has general responsibilities that include but are not limited to:
- Must be an official member of the HES PTA with dues paid (click here to become a member)
- Be willing to serve on the Board for the entire 2021-22 school year
- Be willing to attend all PTA Board Meetings (twice a month on dates determined by the Board before the beginning of the school year)
- Be willing to attend all General PTA Meetings (at least 5 per year) and prepare any necessary work for their role at the meeting
- Assist with various PTA events throughout the year (i.e. Bus Driver Appreciation Day, teacher supply replenishment, etc.).
Specific responsibilities of each role include but are not limited to:
SECRETARY (vacant next year)
- Record the minutes of all meetings of the HES PTA.
- Be responsible for general communication within the Board (i.e. preparing agendas for next meeting).
- Be responsible for general communication of events, clubs, and other PTA activities to the PTA members, general student body, and school staff.
- Maintain the general PTA calendar with the specific info of events and activities within the school year.
- Maintain the HES PTA website, which includes updating, creating, and publishing club and event information, various registration forms, news, fundraising efforts, and necessary info for General PTA Meetings.
- Create and send weekly Buzz newsletter, which includes contacting coordinators and other Board members for info, finding or creating relevant photos/media, following up on leads and developments, and maintaining ongoing list of Upcoming Events.
- Maintain all HES PTA social media, which includes creating and scheduling announcements and events, finding or creating relevant photos/media for each, following up on comments, leads, and developments, and responding to messages from the public and PTA members.
TREASURER (vacant next year)
- Have custody of all funds and finances of the local PTA/PTSA.
- Keep a full and accurate account of receipts and expenditures as described in these
- Make disbursements as authorized by the president, executive board, or general
membership in accordance with the budget adopted by the general membership.
- Have checks or vouchers signed by two (2) officers, preferably the treasurer and the
- Present a written financial statement at every meeting of the local PTA/PTSA and at other
times when requested by the executive board.
- Prepare an annual financial report at the close of the fiscal year.
- Have the accounts examined according to the auditing procedures outlined in these
- Submit a copy of the fiscal year-end audit report, standard forms, and membership dues to the Virginia PTA state office, National PTA, and other organizations as required.
- Preside at all meetings of the HES PTA.
- Coordinate the work of the officers and committees of the HES PTA in order that the
purposes may be promoted.
- Submit information and forms to VA PTA state office as needed.
- Meet with the HES Principal regularly to collaborate and facilitate needs and opportunities.
- Serve as an ex-officio member of the HES PTA as needed after term ends.
VICE-PRESIDENT OF VOLUNTEERS
- Communicate with PTA club coordinators and school staff on specific details, dates, required forms for their respective club throughout each of the 4 club seasons in the school year.
- Coordinate and communicate volunteer needs with event and activity coordinators throughout the school year.
- Update and publish volunteer sign-ups through flyers and Sign Up Genius.
- Prepare for General PTA Meetings with information about upcoming volunteer opportunities and specific needs.
- Organize PTA Spirit Nights at various restaurants in Herndon throughout the year.
- Manage the Spiritwear and school supply replenishment, which includes creating surveys to gauge needs and preferences, communicating with school staff, and following up after completion.
VICE-PRESIDENT OF MEMBERSHIP
- Update membership forms each school calendar year and maintain supply of copies.
- Attend and promote membership at the beginning of the school year (Teacher Welcome Back Lunch & HES Open House in August).
- Copy flyers for Thursday folders every week in the month of September.
- Attend and promote membership throughout the year at school events (i.e. Family Resource Night).
- Collect membership forms and dues.
- Submit dues to the Treasurer on a weekly basis.
- Maintain an updated membership directory spreadsheet.
- Maintain paid membership information in the membership database A-Z.
- Work with Registrar to acquire an updated student directory file at the beginning of October.
- Distribute quarterly A-Z magazines in Thursday folders.
- Communicate with A-Z sales representatives throughout the year.
- Manage the Membership print directory and delivery.